My Dog Ate the Remote: Not Surprising at All 

It is certainly no secret that it is a dog’s nature to eat anything. If you have had a pet for a while, this sort of behavior shouldn’t shock you, even though it may take some time to understand why your pet does this. You leave it within Fido’s reach; chances are he will destroy it before you return.

can dogs sense when something is wr...
can dogs sense when something is wrong with their owner

To a pet dog, this isn’t destructive behavior; simply put, there is never an intention to make mommy or daddy mad. He is only doing what dogs do – exploring is second nature to our pets, and our favorite or indispensable items, like a TV remote or pen, sometimes become the victims. Let us reiterate that it is not okay to yell at your pet, even when your favorite things take the brunt of their mouthy escapades.

Shouting or raising your voice sternly at your pet may cause anxiety, distrust, and fear in your fur baby, even when the puppy drives you crazy. And even if your dog ate the remote, you should calmly read through this article to discover how you can make the situation better for you and your pet. How can you stop your pet from eating items like your remote? And more importantly, what should you do if your dog ate a remote?

What Happens if A Dog Eats a Remote Control? 

The broken plastic pieces of the remote control may puncture your pet’s tongue, gums, or other sensitive parts of his mouth. His innards are delicate and equally sensitive – sharp pieces from the remote control body may puncture something. If that isn’t happening, another danger lurks if a huge chunk has been consumed; it may lead to an intestinal blockage, which is never good. 

Equally, your pet may have bitten on the battery, and depending on the type of battery, he may experience an electric shock or an acid burn. Batteries are made from heavy metals like cadmium and lithium and potent chemical substances like sulfuric acid and potassium hydroxide. When swallowed whole, a battery can also cause a choking hazard.

Your dog may be at risk of life-threatening health conditions if he eats a remote control. Chemical poisoning is one of the more significant risks caused by chewing or ingesting a battery. He will foam around the mouth, have an upset stomach, drool, vomit, and have diarrhea if he suffers from acid poisoning. Don’t let it slide if the battery is missing from a chewed-up remote control, and don’t snooze if the missing plastic pieces are large chunks!

Why Do Dogs Eat Remote Controls? 

Remote controls are mostly plastic, with wires, rubber buttons, a printed circuit board, and other non-edible pieces like batteries. These things together make a gadget that would easily fascinate a dog, especially since you hold it in your hands almost every night. It has your scent, and many buttons are mostly plastic, so it is most definitely worth exploring. Unless your pet has pica, eating the remote is next to normal canine behavior, but the pieces of plastic may not do so well in your dog’s belly. 

There are many speculations and opinions about why a dog would eat a remote control, but curiosity is one general reason. However, our canine friends don’t have adept use of their thumbs like humans do, so they are stuck using their teeth and paws to navigate the surface. They also get tempted to crack it open to see what’s inside, like a further investigation. A teething puppy would experience this need to explore, and it would be even more irresistible for them because of teething and the general neurosensory exploration.

It is also possible that your pet misses you. He can smell you on this item even long after you have put it down; you use it often, and a dog’s heightened sense of smell will detect your scent easily. Your fur kid may nibble on the remote control to reminisce about your presence, so don’t get mad when you return home to find it in pieces.

How Do I Get My Dog to Stop Eating the Remote Control? 

Keep the remote controls out of his reach – if you are tired of losing remote controls to your dog’s teeth, you should register it in your mind that your pet will eat this interesting item if he can reach it. Therefore, the best position for the remote control you don’t want to replace is the top of the shelf or any other spot he cannot reach. And if he attempts to eat it in your presence, the “leave it” command will dissuade him if you train him properly. 

You can also provide an engaging puzzle toy for your pet or some other toy for that matter. Have you observed a dog that is captivated and engrossed with an object? You may not get much of his attention when you come within his reach. Isn’t that wonderful? You can keep Fido engaged throughout your time at work, your obligatory gathering, or whatever separates the two of you for a considerable time.

Dogs and puppies especially have a lot of energy you need to help them expend. Otherwise, you will not like what will happen to your favorite items or things that bear your scent strongly. Finally, we recommend staking a claim – let your puppy know that the remote control is yours and you want to guard it just like he wants to guard his bone. You can use body language to communicate this. 

What Should I Do if My Dog Ate a Remote Control? 

Stay calm; this is the most important thing, but many dog owners lose their tempers. The most important thing here is to examine your pet to see if the plastic pieces hurt his mouth, tongue, or gum. Let’s stop an infection before it even happens. 

Next, you should observe your pet for signs of toxic poisoning, which may be caused by the acid from the batteries. Since you will know if your pet has bitten on the batteries through the presence of bruises in his mouth, you should look out for signs of substance poisoning. Gastrointestinal obstruction is also dangerous and shows through symptoms like drooling, appetite loss, pain in the stomach area, and lethargy. 

If your pet has been acting differently, less of himself, you should monitor him, especially if he has just destroyed a remote control. You would be amazed at the magnitude of damage a small piece of plastic can do to a dog’s internal system, so you don’t want to take that risk. If your gut says you should reach out to the vet, do it. 

Conclusion 

Don’t yell if you return to discover your dog ate the remote. Keep it out of where he can access it next time and train him to avoid items like that.