My Dog Ate Nail Polish! Should I Worry?

Are you concerned about what might happen if your dog consumes nail polish? First of all, don’t panic! After the incident, pay great attention and keep an eye on your four-legged pal for any symptoms or unpleasant responses. Luckily, The majority of today’s nail polishes are made of non-toxic ingredients, but product quality still matters.

can dogs sense when something is wr...
can dogs sense when something is wrong with their owner

The lower the price of the bottle, the more probable it is that the manufacturer would prioritize production costs over your furry friend’s safety. The amount of nail polish he ate is also the most important factor in determining the danger level. Check to see how much liquid is left in the nail paint bottle and whether any has spilled on the floor. A small amount of it will most likely be tolerated by the acid in your dog’s stomach.

The worst that can happen is a temporary loss of appetite and stomach aches, but in case of severe toxicity, tremors, seizures, and diarrhea can result. You should immediately contact your veterinarian if your dog has consumed a significant amount of nail polish. However, a phone call or a trip to the veterinarian is necessary even if your dog has eaten a very small amount of nail polish, so he can assist you in saving your dog’s health.

Is Nail Polish Toxic to Dogs?

Because there are no black-and-white answers, it’s best to be cautious. Tests on a variety of nail products revealed that even “toxin-free” nail paints included one of the “toxic three” DBPs (formaldehyde, dibutyl phthalate, or toluene). This is a cause of concern. We can only conjecture on the damage these chemicals would cause if swallowed by your animal pal because they have been proved to be dangerous to dogs’ health when consumed in any way. The level of danger involved is a decision that we must make based on our judgment. 

Some veterinary specialists say that the risk is low and that there is no need to be worried. Nonetheless, if Fido vomits, it could be a sign of a more serious problem, or it could just imply he has finished the bottle! If he appears to be in distress, call your veterinarian. Other typical signs and symptoms include loss of appetite, lethargy, drooling, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and vomiting. When dogs vomit or have diarrhea, they lose a lot of fluids. Maintain your dog’s hydration and look for the top-recommended dog digestion support.

 If you choose to use nail paint products that include any harmful chemicals, you should think about the risk to you and your four-legged pal. Moreover, if you want to paint your pet’s nails, stay away from human-grade nail polish. Instead, opt for nail paint that is safe for dogs. You and your canine buddy can have a lot of fun using nail paint together because there are so many different colors to choose from! But keep in mind only non-toxic dog nail polish that does not contain any harmful substances.

What Happens if My Dog Eats Nail Polish?

If your dog only ate a small amount, he will be OK. The worst that could happen is a slight tummy ache. There’s nothing to be extremely concerned about until there are any evident symptoms, such as vomiting. So, seeking professional help is important to ensure the safety of your fur baby. However, being a responsible pet owner, you should never apply any human nail polish on your dog’s paw nails. Even after the polish has dried, dogs lick everything, including their paws and nails, which can be damaging.

Dibutyl phthalate, formaldehyde, and toluene are toxic constituents of nail polishes, and they can lead to health issues in both canines and humans. Dogs are also poisoned by acetone. Even though this is a natural molecule (a ketone), if a dog consumes too much of it, it can be toxic. Do not use home treatments unless a veterinarian has advised you to. Feeding peanut butter or milk will only aggravate the condition of your furry companion.

Dogs can be frequently poisoned by the substances in human nail paint and remover. If a dog has been exposed to human nail polish or nail polish remover, it’s critical to remove the substance as soon as possible so that the chemicals and fumes do not harm the dog in any way. Your veterinarian may administer intravenous fluids to your dog, flush his stomach, administer activated charcoal to absorb the toxin, or conduct surgery once in case of severe toxicity. Supportive drugs can aid in the detoxification and healing of your dog’s kidneys and liver.

What Should I Do if My Dog Ate Nail Polish?

First and foremost, keep yourself calm! You’ll have to inspect the nail polish bottle to see how much your pet has consumed. If there doesn’t appear to be much missing, your dog should be fine. However, Keep an eye out for the indicators such as vomiting, excessive drooling, diarrhea, loss of appetite, lethargy, tremors, and seizures. If you observe any of these symptoms, it means nail polish is making your dog sick, and these are the indicators that your dog has eaten a lot of the nail polish. There’s a possibility he’s developing an allergic reaction to the substances, though you’ll need to see a veterinarian to know for sure. 

Although it may seem like the most rational thing to do, do not force your dog to vomit. When a dog vomits back up the polish, the chemicals in the nail polish can cause caustic esophageal damage. Before taking any action, always seek guidance from a veterinarian. It’s important to remember that if poisoning symptoms are already present, it’s too late to induce vomiting. After proper checkups and consultations, you can serve cooked rice mixed with boiled chicken because they aid in dog digestion and gut support.

The nail polish remover is the same way. If your dog merely licked a small amount from the bottle’s cap or top, he should be fine. It’s quite unlikely that your dog will become unwell after eating a simple paper towel soaked in nail paint remover, given the quantity is likely to be insignificant. Because acetone evaporates fast, your pet should be fine if the cotton ball is dry. However, you should keep an eye on him for a few days to see if he exhibits any unusual behavior, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of appetite. Call the veterinarian if he exhibits these symptoms. Again, only induce vomiting if your veterinarian recommends it.

Conclusion

In a nutshell, if your dog eats nail polish or chews on his painted nails, some of the hazardous substances could be ingested, potentially causing health problems. Keep nail polish and other toxic items out of reach of your furry companion as a precaution since dogs will try to explore everything with their noses and will eat everything outside, even if you take him for a stroll. Nonetheless, if your dog eats nail polish, nail polish remover, or any other toxic stuff, whether indoors or outside, call your vet immediately and seek medical assistance.

Leave a Comment