My Dog Ate a Pumice Stone! What do I do? 

A pumice stone is a handy little tool most commonly used to remove dead skin from the bottom of the feet. It is also an excellent product for removing dead skin cells from other parts of the body. But do you ever wonder what gives it that abrasive yet palatable, lightweight texture and feel? When a volcano suddenly erupts, the pumice stone forms if some of the lava mixes with water.

If you are big on hygiene or love the occasional pedicure, a pumice stone can achieve it in no time. But what happens when your wondering little dog stumbles on this abrasive item? As is the nature of every dog, your pet will likely explore this stone with their teeth. 

And they will break it down further to get familiar with its contents. If your dog ate pumice stone, chances are there are little bits of it in their belly. Dogs eat lots of things, even socks, and appear okay. So, what will happen when the inedible substance in question is a stone, and what can you do to help your curious but ignorant canine friend? 

Are Pumice Stones Toxic to Dogs? 

Pumice stones are not toxic to dogs; a pumice stone is simply a natural formation of an adhesive rock through the combination of heated lava, water, and oxygen. No harmful substances are found in it, but that should not be your concern if your pet eats one of these little rocks. Instead, you should worry about the damage that the process of gnawing on a pumice stone can do to your pooch. 

When a dog eats a rock or small stones, the natural reaction would be passing them through their poop. However, side effects may arise if there is an intestinal blockage, a stomach puncture, or some infection caused by an internal open wound inflicted by the jagged pieces of the stones. They are not caused by toxic poisoning from fragments of the pumice stone but by the effects of their presence in your pet’s digestive system.

Some pets are lucky enough to pass the stones within hours of ingesting them; this removes room for them to damage your pet’s system. We believe that you wash your pumice stone after each use to remove the dead cells and products stuck on it. But even if there are bacteria on it, they don’t stand a chance against your pet’s gut infection fighters, so you’re in the clear from any form of toxic poisoning. 

What Will Happen if My Dog Ate a Pumice Stone? 

If your dog ate a pumice stone, there is no need to worry about a biochemical reaction because this beauty product is all-natural. Even when you have used it for a while, the worst-case scenario is an intestinal blockage that elicits symptoms like constipation, diarrhea, dehydration, loss of appetite, pain and swelling in the abdomen, dehydration, and lethargy. Furthermore, pieces of the stone can pierce your pet’s tongue, gum, and the other soft parts of their mouth, not to mention scratching the airway or even innards. 

Initially, in the process of breaking up the stone into pieces, some can puncture your pet’s tongue, gums, and other soft parts of their mouth and result in open sores. If they are swallowed, the pieces will not harm them by introducing chemicals or other toxic substances into their body; but they may cause an intestinal blockage, which can develop into further health problems for your pet. In a couple of days, the stones will leave their system through their poop. However, if things go south, which happens if you don’t find the stones in your dog’s poop, watch out for vomiting, constipation, abdominal pain, and appetite loss. 

Any sign that indicates Fido is in pain shouldn’t be dismissed at this point, as they may require the help of the vet. These symptoms may indicate an intestinal blockage or obstruction, and a surgery may be required. They may also be signs of an infection which you don’t want to overlook. Monitor your pet for the next three to five days and report any strange behavior to the vet. 

What Should I Do if My Dog Ate a Pumice Stone?

Stay calm. You need to gather information about how much pumice stone your pet has eaten; look at the leftover and inspect the area for pieces on the floor. If they are missing, then your pooch likely swallowed them, and it is somewhere in their digestive system. This may be a health hazard, starting with piercing the soft parts of the mouth, passing the throat, and to the belly. 

The stomach may be punctured by crushed and jagged pieces of the pumice stone. So, if there is Pepcid AC at home, ask your veterinarian if you can administer some to your pet to protect their internal organs. You will also need to adjust their diet for a few days; boiled chicken and rice are a bland meal that won’t upset your pet’s stomach. Another way to improve their digestive health is by feeding them plain pumpkins.

A probiotic can protect the intestines before the pieces of the pumice stone find their way out. The worst-case scenario, though, may require you to take your pet to the veterinarian, and that is when there is an intestinal blockage. Or if the stones have entered your pet’s intestines, surgery may need to be performed. 


If your dog eats everything outside, you are not alone. However, if you discover that your pet dog ate pumice stone, you need to take a deep breath and follow the guidelines we have explored in this article. Your pooch will be okay, and you may be lucky enough that the pieces pass through their poop hassle-free. But if that doesn’t happen, the consumption of a pumice stone is nothing a vet cannot take care of, and your pet will be okay in no time! 


  • Brad

    Hi I'm Brad, the founder of Having been a vet of 6 years I work alongside our team to provide valuable insight into your dog's health. I have a frenchie myself named Senzu who is my pride and joy!