My Dog Ate a Nectarine Pit! What Should I Do? 

Biting into the soft body of a nectarine releases the sweetest and most aromatic sensations onto your taste buds, and before you know it, you have finished the fruit! You can reach for more and more, although eating too many is not advisable. But more importantly, you should properly dispose of the pits afterward, especially if you have a puppy in the home.

can dogs sense when something is wr...
can dogs sense when something is wrong with their owner

It is no secret that the pit of a nectarine fruit contains cyanogenic glycoside, which can be used to synthesize a poisonous substance called cyanide. The toxin is contained within the pit’s interior, even though a hard external shell keeps it secure. Though broken and digested by people or pets, the enzymes may activate the poison.

You know this information, but your pet doesn’t. So, if you discover your dog ate a nectarine pit, what should you expect, and how can you properly handle the situation? We’ll tell you, but before we start, take a deep breath because your pooch will be okay.

Are Nectarine Pits Toxic to Dogs?

Yes, nectarine pits are toxic to dogs. However, the effects that arise depend on your pet’s weight, underlying health conditions, and the manner of ingesting the nectarine pits. Typically, when ground up or chewed, the chances of activating the toxins increase; alternatively, when swallowed whole, the hard protective shell may prevent the substance from being crushed and digested. 

But if your pet chews the pits before swallowing, he may experience some effects like inflammation and skin redness; they indicate his biochemical reaction to the toxins. The cyanogenic glycoside or cyanide causes vomiting and nausea in dogs. It may also trigger dizziness and mental confusion. A pet that eats nectarine pits may also experience nerve dysfunction, low blood pressure, tremors, hyperventilation, and convulsions.

If your pet hasn’t had a good appetite in a while and is also having difficulty breathing, it may be a sign of cyanide poisoning, and you shouldn’t delay the visit to the vet. Some dogs may even go into a coma, leading to their demise. Ingesting nectarine pits is deadlier if the seed is crushed in the digestive system, and a dog will survive it if treatment is administered in time. 

Can a Dog Digest a Nectarine Pit? 

Yes, a dog can digest a nectarine pit, but it spells disaster if too many pits are consumed and digested. Let’s take a trip through a dog’s digestive system, starting with the canine dentition. It can only work in upward and downward motions, which means a nectarine pit may escape getting crushed in the mouth. If it goes down the esophagus whole, the hard exterior may survive the other parts of the pet dog’s digestive system. 

However, your pet is not entirely out of the clear because of the large intestines. Typically, the stomach liquefies the food and other things a dog eats, but if it cannot be broken down here, there is another organ that’ll do the work. The food’s nutrients will be extracted from the small intestines while the undigested substances will move to the large intestine.

If the stomach does not digest the hard exterior, it may also survive the large intestine. But you don’t want to take that risk because if it breaks down there, the cyanide can still be absorbed by the blood and distributed around the body. If not, it comes out with the rest of the bodily waste; check your dog’s poop to ascertain that the nectarine pit is truly out.

What Should I Do if My Dog Ate a Nectarine Pit? 

The most important thing you can do is stay calm because your pooch will be okay. Next, immediately reach out to the vet as a delay could spell disaster. A dog has a relatively shorter digestive system, so anything it eats passes through its body faster, meaning digestion occurs fast. If you suspect your pooch ingested a nectarine pit, you should involve the vet when he exhibits the early symptoms of toxic poisoning. 

If your dog ate nectarine pit, you would know if they are in a dangerous situation or not, but you must be present to monitor them. A dog that throws up white foam, has diarrhea, or has stomach upset may be exhibiting the signs of toxic poisoning, which you most likely cannot handle on your own. You can salvage the condition by inducing vomiting, but that will only work with the assistance of your veterinarian and if you have gotten to the scene before twelve hours, which is how long it takes for food to digest.

You can prevent the nectarine pits from getting digested, so you don’t need to wait until your pet visibly exhibits signs of substance poisoning if you suspect that they truly ate it. Cyanide is highly toxic, especially when consumed in a high quantity, so you must act immediately if he has eaten a lot of nectarine seeds. But if it is just one or two, the hard exterior may ensure they remain uncrushed in your pet’s digestive system. When they reach the large intestine, they will be separated from the salvageable materials. 

Conclusion 

Given the opportunity, dogs will eat anything, including moving creatures like grasshoppers, so creating a safe and healthy environment is important. However, if your dog ate a nectarine pit, don’t panic. Simply consider the quantity your dog consumed and report it to the vet if there are adverse health behaviors.