My Dog Ate a Cork! – Here’s What You Should Do!

Taking care of a pet is similar to taking care of a baby. Most vigilant dog parents will have times when their vision and focus are diverted. Many pet owners become concerned after seeing their dogs eating a cork. So, what to do if your dog ate cork?

Cork is a porous material that absorbs liquids while also preventing leaks. If you have a genuine cork, it may expand in the dog’s intestines. But, not all corks can expand.

When dogs use the restroom, keep an eye on them. Going to the potty will be difficult for dogs who have cork-related concerns. They may appear to be straining, pooping less, or simply appear uneasy. For the next few days, smaller meals should be fed to your animal pal. “Supportive care” is the term vets use to describe this type of treatment. Smaller, higher-fiber meals will make it easier for your dog to pass cork pieces.

Take your dog to the vet if he or she shows signs of distress, vomiting, loss of appetite, and changed bowel movements. Any indication of a blockage should prompt you to contact your veterinarian and schedule a visit. Determine whether your dog swallowed it whole or chewed it into pieces. If the whole cork is swallowed by your dog and doesn’t choke, you may still need to visit a veterinarian to have it removed. Getting counsel from a veterinarian is usually a smart idea.

What Happens when A Dog Eats a Cork?

a cork can shift the bowel habits of your dog. A blockage can be detected if your dog is pooping less frequently, straining to go to the bathroom, or is unable to do so. Your veterinarian can assist you in flushing it out of your dog. Your canine companion can refuse to consume food. His behavior can be listless and stressed since he ate the cork. A dog that has become ill as a result of toxins absorbed via the cork will act differently. They’ll be tired, grumpy, and irritable.

Vomiting is a common occurrence in dogs in such cases. Because of germs on the corks, dogs may get stomach distress. An ER visit may be required if your dog refuses to stop vomiting, is dry heaving, or showing any other symptoms. Your vet can perform fluid therapy to fix dehydration caused by recurrent vomiting and untwist damaged organs; gastropexy is used. In case of obstruction, surgery can be performed, and some antibiotics are prescribed following the surgery to prevent any chances of infection at the operated site.

Smaller dogs are unquestionably more vulnerable to intestinal blockage. Even the tiniest of bits might clog their tiny intestines. Furthermore, smaller canines may be unable to manage whatever compounds (wine) may be present on the consumed cork, resulting in an undesirable reaction. To address any worries, you have about your dog, it’s usually better to act sooner rather than later. Even if they took smaller nibbles of the cork, it might still be dangerous.

Can a Dog Digest a Cork?

Dogs cannot digest corks, but they can vomit it up or pass it through their stool. However, if your dog consumes corks whole, they might create intestinal blockages. As we know, corks are indigestible in dogs, but if they chewed it up before eating it, the parts are likely to travel through their digestive system. Yet, some dangers are associated with corks that, if left unchecked, can be fatal. Careful monitoring and veterinarian assistance are required.

Smaller dogs have smaller digestive tracts that are more prone to become clogged if a larger piece of cork is swallowed. On the other hand, large dogs have larger intestines, which makes it easier for the cork to pass through. If you suspect a blockage, take your dog to the veterinarian as soon as possible. To confirm the intestinal obstruction, your veterinarian may perform a diagnostic procedure.

Complications are also more likely in dog breeds with a history of digestive problems. If you suspect your dog ate a cork and you have any worries about his digestive tract or size, you should see your veterinarian immediately. However, dogs with delicate stomachs may be fortunate enough to vomit out the cork fragments. Fortunately, you might be able to get your furry pal to throw up the cork if he or she ate it not too long ago. 

What Should I Do if My Dog Ate a Cork?

Keep all corks out of reach of your fur baby for safety reasons. This will benefit both of you! Because being curious creatures, they try to lick and consume everything, sometimes even rat poop, out of their curiosity. Nonetheless, if a cork develops an obstruction in your dog’s intestine, he may experience some significant symptoms. So, try to look for indicators of discomfort, such as vomiting, or diarrhea, nausea, fatigue, pain, and a loss of appetite. If any of these symptoms arise, please contact your veterinarian right once. Your dog’s survival is at risk if he can’t pass stool. 

Your dog may need surgery under anesthesia if an object does not pass through the dog’s feces or if your veterinarian believes the object has been lodged for too long. Veterinarians can then access the abdomen or intestine to remove the blockage’s source. If the cork was recently consumed, your veterinarian might ask you to induce vomiting or perform an in-office treatment to remove it. Most canines will make a complete recovery if caught and treated quickly. You should assess the situation keenly to make your vet aware of the exact condition of your dog so that he can guide or provide the appropriate medical aid.

If the vet suggests inducing vomiting, get some hydrogen peroxide on hand. A dose of 0.5 to 1 mL of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide per pound of dog weight is recommended. Calculate the amount of hydrogen peroxide required. Veterinarians recommend 0.5ml to 1ml per pound. Give the dose to your four-legged pal and rub his tummy gently. Within 20 to 30 minutes, your dog should throw up. In no time, your dog will vomit up the cork. If they don’t throw up after receiving the.5ml dose, you can give them a little extra as long as you don’t exceed the 1ml per pound limit.

I cannot stress this enough. Only do this step if your vet recommends you do it. Please’s contact them first. 


When dogs ingest foreign objects, dog owners have reason to be concerned. Certain foods or objects such as corks are more dangerous than others. Dogs cannot digest a cork and if your dog consumes a cork whole, they might create intestinal obstructions. If x-rays reveal that the cork has made its way into your pet’s intestines, surgery is likely. Like so many dog-related issues, it all depends on the circumstances. Consult a veterinarian, as always.


  • Brad

    Hi I'm Brad, the founder of Having been a vet of 6 years I work alongside our team to provide valuable insight into your dog's health. I have a frenchie myself named Senzu who is my pride and joy!

Leave a Comment