Dog Ate a Grape: Potential Health Risks and What to Do Next

Last Updated on: 24th October 2023, 02:48 am

As a dog owner, it’s essential to know what foods are safe for your furry friend. Grapes are one of those more common foods that can be toxic to dogs.

If your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, it’s crucial to take immediate action. The first step is to understand the symptoms of grape toxicity in dogs, which include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and loss of appetite. Seeking veterinary care immediately is also critical to prevent further complications.

Key Takeaways

  • Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure.
  • Symptoms of grape toxicity in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and loss of appetite.
  • Seeking veterinary care immediately is crucial to prevent further complications.

Understanding Grapes and Dogs

In this section, I will discuss why grapes are dangerous and how a dog’s digestive system reacts to them.

Why Grapes are Dangerous

The exact reason why grapes are toxic to dogs is still unknown. However, even small amounts of grapes or raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. The substance found in grapes that is toxic to dogs has not been identified yet, but it is believed to be present in the flesh of the fruit and not just in the seeds.

Some dogs may consume grapes without any adverse effects, while others may experience severe symptoms after consuming just a few grapes. Therefore, it is best to err on the side of caution and avoid feeding grapes or raisins to your dog altogether.

Dog’s Digestive System

A dog’s digestive system is different from that of humans. Dogs have a shorter digestive tract, and their stomachs produce more acid, which helps them digest food quickly. However, this also means that they are more prone to digestive issues and can experience discomfort or illness if they consume something that does not agree with their system.

When a dog consumes grapes or raisins, the toxic substance present in them can quickly enter their bloodstream and cause damage to their kidneys.

It is best to avoid feeding grapes or raisins to your dog to ensure their health and safety. If you suspect that your dog has consumed grapes or raisins, seek veterinary attention immediately.

What To Do If Dog Ate A Grape

If you suspect that your dog has ingested grapes or raisins, it is important to act quickly. Time is of the essence, and the faster you can get your dog the help they need, the better their chances of a full recovery.

Recognizing Symptoms

The symptoms of grape or raisin toxicity can vary depending on the size of the dog and the amount consumed. Some common symptoms include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Abdominal pain
  • Dehydration
  • Increased thirst and urination
  • Kidney failure

If you notice any of these symptoms, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately.

Steps to Take

If your dog has ingested grapes or raisins, take the following steps:

  1. Call your veterinarian or an emergency veterinary clinic right away. They will be able to advise you on the best course of action based on your dog’s individual case.
  2. If possible, try to determine how much your dog has eaten and when. This information can be helpful in determining the severity of the situation.
  3. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed to do so by a veterinarian. In some cases, inducing vomiting can actually make the situation worse.
  4. Keep your dog hydrated by offering plenty of fresh water. This can help flush the toxins out of their system.
  5. Monitor your dog closely for any changes in behavior or symptoms. If you notice any changes, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Remember, time is of the essence when it comes to grape or raisin toxicity. By acting quickly and getting your dog the help they need, you can increase their chances of a full recovery.

Treatment Options

In this section, I will discuss the possible treatments and long-term health effects of grape or raisin ingestion in dogs.

Possible Treatments

The treatment for grape or raisin ingestion in dogs will depend on the severity of the symptoms.

If your dog has just eaten grapes or raisins and is not showing any symptoms, your veterinarian may induce vomiting to remove the grapes or raisins from the stomach. Your veterinarian may also administer activated charcoal to absorb any remaining toxins in the stomach.

If your dog is showing symptoms of grape or raisin toxicity, such as vomiting or diarrhea, your veterinarian may recommend keeping them overnight for observation or sending them to an animal hospital.

Your dog may need to be put on intravenous fluids (IV) to prevent dehydration and to flush out the toxins from the kidneys. Your veterinarian may also perform blood tests to monitor kidney function.

Long-term Health Effects

If your dog has ingested grapes or raisins, it is important to monitor their kidney function for the rest of their life. Even if your dog recovers from the initial symptoms, they may still develop kidney failure in the future. Your veterinarian may recommend regular blood tests to monitor kidney function.

In some cases, grape or raisin ingestion can lead to permanent kidney damage or even death. If your dog has ingested a large amount of grapes or raisins, or if they are showing severe symptoms, be aware that the prognosis may be poor.

Fruit Alternatives for Dogs

Instead of giving your dog grapes or raisins, try offering them some safe alternatives. Some fruits and vegetables that are safe for dogs to eat include:

  • Apples (without the seeds)
  • Bananas
  • Blueberries
  • Carrots
  • Green beans
  • Pineapple
  • Strawberries
  • Watermelon (without the seeds)

Make sure to cut any fruits or vegetables into bite-sized pieces and remove any seeds or pits before giving them to your dog.

Training Your Dog

Another way to prevent your dog from eating grapes or raisins is to train them to stay away from these foods. Here are some training tips:

  • Teach your dog the “leave it” command. This command can be used to teach your dog to leave any item alone, including grapes or raisins.
  • Keep grapes and raisins out of reach. Store these foods in a secure location where your dog can’t get to them.
  • Supervise your dog. Keep an eye on your dog when they are around food, especially grapes or raisins.

By taking these preventative measures, you can help keep your dog safe from the dangers of grape and raisin toxicity.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can one grape be toxic to dogs?

Yes, even one grape can be toxic to dogs. According to Your Vet Friend, there are reports of dogs getting seriously ill after ingesting as little as 0.7 ounces (20 grams) of grapes per kilogram of body weight. An average grape weighs about 0.18 ounces (5 grams). So, it’s best to avoid giving grapes to your dog altogether.

What should I do if my dog ate grapes?

If your dog ate grapes, the first thing you should do is contact your veterinarian or take your dog to an animal hospital immediately. As Hepper suggests, if your dog has eaten grapes within the last 4-6 hours, your vet might give an injection to make your dog sick. This fast-acting drug causes a strong urge to vomit and usually works within 15 minutes. Your vet may also need to prescribe medications to prevent kidney failure.

How long does it take for grape toxicity to affect a dog?

Symptoms of grape toxicity can appear within 24 hours of ingestion. According to Outward Hound, typically, you’ll see symptoms between 12 and 24 hours after ingestion of grapes, raisins, or currants, or drinks grape juice. However, in some cases, symptoms may not appear for several days.

What are the symptoms of grape toxicity in dogs?

The symptoms of grape toxicity in dogs can include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, dehydration, and increased thirst and urination. In severe cases, it can lead to acute kidney failure. If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog after they have eaten grapes, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Is grape toxicity in dogs treatable?

Yes, grape toxicity in dogs is treatable. However, the prognosis for a dog that has eaten grapes depends on how long has passed before treatment is initiated, and how many grapes or raisins were ingested. According to PetHelpful, dialysis or kidney transplantation is sometimes necessary to ensure a good outcome.

What fruits are toxic to dogs besides grapes?

In addition to grapes, raisins, and currants, there are other fruits that are toxic to dogs. These include cherries, peaches, and plums that have pits, as well as apple and pear seeds. Additionally, citrus fruits like lemons and limes can cause upset stomachs in dogs. It’s always best to consult with your veterinarian before giving your dog any new foods.


  • Brad

    Hi I'm Brad, the founder of Having been a vet of 6 years I work alongside our team to provide valuable insight into your dog's health. I have a frenchie myself named Senzu who is my pride and joy!

Leave a Comment