English Bulldogs have a big appetite, so they will devour just about any food you give them. But can English Bulldogs eat bananas? Definitely! Banana is a very versatile fruit packed with nutrients that will boost your dog’s health. As long as you keep the serving in moderation, a serving of banana will be a great addition to your dog’s diet.
It’s very rare for dogs to have allergic reactions to a banana. I’ve met many Bulldog owners, and not one of them has mentioned banana allergy.
Benefits of banana on English Bulldogs
If you’re wondering what benefits your Bulldog will get from eating a banana, the following are some of the surprising perks:
- A dose of potassium. Banana is popular for being a good source of potassium, not just for humans but also for dogs. This mineral plays a vital role in your Bulldog’s heart and kidney health. It also aids muscle development, especially for growing pups.
- Added Vitamin C. As a powerful antioxidant, Vitamin C helps boost your dog’s immune system. This will make your Bulldog stronger against communicable diseases.
- Packed with Vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 is an essential coenzyme that regulates protein buildup, fluid balance, and brain function in a dog’s body. Without it, your dog will experience poor cognitive functions.
- A good source of fiber. Is your Bulldog straining when pooping? If so, it will make use of added fiber on its diet. A 100-gram serving of banana has 2.6 grams of fiber. While you’re not going to feed your dog that much fruit in one sitting, a small amount is still a great source of fiber for better digestion.
- Added biotin. Biotin is essential in keeping your Bulldog’s coat healthy. It keeps skin and hair problems at bay, aside from aiding with digestion, muscle formation, and growth.
- Low-calorie snack. For Bulldogs that need to lose weight, banana is an excellent alternative to high-calorie treats. A 50-gram banana serving only contains 45 calories. And since it’s heavy on the stomach, it will make your dog feel fuller.
- Helps ease stomach upset. Lastly, banana is an excellent food after your Bulldog’s bout with diarrhea and vomiting. Banana helps balance the gut, thanks to their fiber and mineral content. You can also mash it to make it easier to digest.
How much banana should I give my dog?
Take note that English Bulldogs won’t stop eating even if they are already overfed. So whatever you’re feeding them, you have to portion control.
For bananas, half a banana is the maximum serving. While this fruit is healthy, it’s also high in sugars, which can easily sabotage your Bulldog’s diet. Also, you should slice it into pieces instead of giving half to your dog.
If your dog is on a special diet, it’s best to talk to its vet before incorporating bananas into its daily meals. This will let you know the suitable serving for your dog.
Ways to give a banana to your English Bulldog?
Slicing the banana into thin pieces is a convenient way to give it to your dog. But to make it more interesting, here are some tips I recommend:
- Freeze it. If you have a teething Bulldog puppy, frozen banana slices are a great dental chew. It’s natural, cheap, and will surely become a big hit on your pup. But since you have a small dog, you shouldn’t overindulge it with too many frozen bananas.
- Mash it. Is your Bulldog recovering from diarrhea? Mashing ripe bananas will help regain their strength and digestive health. This is an excellent alternative to the canned pumpkin if you don’t have one readily available at home.
- Make it a meal topper. If your Bulldog is obsessed with bananas, you can dice half the fruit and sprinkle it on the kibble. It will be an excellent meal topper that will surely entice your pet’s appetite.
- Toy filling. If your dog has a treat-dispensing toy, you can fill it with mashed or diced banana. You can also add a small serving of peanut butter to make the treat more appetizing.
Will my dog like a banana?
Most Bulldogs will like bananas, but it still depends on the specific canine. Some dogs are pickier than others, so the only way to know is by giving the banana. See if your dog will devour it straight away or leave it after a few sniffs.
If you want your dog to have a dose of banana, you can smear it with a small amount of peanut butter. This works well with my picky Bulldog in whatever food or medication we have to give that he doesn’t like.
If your dog doesn’t like the fruit, there’s no need to force it. There are other food items where your pet can get its nutrition.
Can bananas give dogs diarrhea?
It’s a rare occurrence for Bulldogs to have diarrhea after eating a few slices of banana. As long as you keep it to half a banana a day, there shouldn’t be any adverse side effects. In fact, bananas can even help your dog recover from diarrhea.
Also, never let your dog eat the peelings. This is the part that will likely cause stomach upset and even intestinal blockages. Always throw the peeling and never let your Bulldog play with it. Again, this canine has a large appetite, so it’s not impossible that it will try to swallow banana peelings.
Can dogs eat a banana every day?
Yes, it’s safe for dogs to eat a banana every day as long as it’s given in moderate servings. You should only give this fruit as a treat and not as a major part of your pet’s diet. Most medium dogs will thrive with half of the fruit, while smaller breeds should be fed small servings.
However, if your dog showed adverse side effects in eating a banana, you should stop giving it. Also, you should consult the veterinarian to know if your pet has allergies or intolerances.
Will a banana settle a dog’s stomach?
Yes, a banana will help settle a dog’s stomach. Breeds like English Bulldogs are quite prone to stomach upset, and bananas will help calm their tummies.
Moreover, a banana is a very gentle fruit with sugars that will help your dog regain its energy after explosive diarrhea. This fruit also contains fiber that will help make the dog’s stool firmer.
Make sure that you mash the banana or put it in a food processor to make it soft. This will be easier for your Bulldog to consume since canines with upset stomachs often don’t have the energy to chew.
What other fruits can an English Bulldog eat?
Aside from bananas, you’ll be surprised that your English Bulldog can eat many other fruits. The following are some of the fruits you can add to your pet’s imaginary basket:
- Blueberries. This juicy and flavorful fruit is a common ingredient among dog food products. It’s packed with antioxidants that will help boost your Bulldog’s health. As a superfood, there’s no doubt that blueberries are a good source of nutrition for canines.
- Watermelon. During a hot summer day, you can put some watermelon slices on the fridge to serve as a refreshing snack for your dog. Bulldogs are prone to heat exhaustion, so a cool snack like watermelon would be an amazing choice. Just don’t let them eat the rind.
- Strawberries. My Bulldog has a newfound obsession with strawberries slathered with peanut butter. This fruit is rich in Vitamins C, E, and K and tons of minerals. However, you should ensure that your dog doesn’t have an allergy to strawberries before giving them as a treat.
Can English Bulldogs eat bananas? Why not! Banana is a nutritious fruit that humans and dogs alike will enjoy. It’s an excellent alternative to commercial treats as long as given in small amounts. Nevertheless, you should still stick to your dog’s regular diet to keep the pooch healthy.