Diarrhea of bulldog is common, and it happens all the time. However, awareness is crucial in minimizing this or preventing your wrinkled fur buddy from getting into a life-threatening situation. If your pet is still a pup, this condition would be more dangerous.
Diarrhea could cause dehydration, and it is terrible for your pets if not treated early. Losing too much body water could lead to weakness and death. So before you could do this, as an owner, it is your responsibility to watch out for their every intake.
Nevertheless, there are some things that we couldn’t control. It is best to be knowledgeable so that you can handle this. Please read this article and give you more insight into how to manage your bulldogs’ Diarrhea.
Bulldog with Diarrhea – Their Types and Definition
Diarrhea is not a simple case. You have to know the types and characterization to know what medication or proper care to do. To more in-depth information, here are the two types of dog diarrhea that mostly encounter.
- Acute Diarrhea is an illness where the sickness came from bacteria, food, viruses, or random foreign objects swallowed by your pets. Also, eating garbage or irritating materials can cause them sudden Diarrhea. There are also cases that stress and changes in the environment that can cause your pet acute Diarrhea.
- Persistent Diarrhea is when the disease came from severe health conditions like IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome, allergies, infections, organ dysfunctions, and more.
Aside from this type, the owner must also know how to distinguish their pet’s normal stool condition. If your fur buddy releases a soft stool with no mucus or blood, this may be because of the food they eat that’s out of their diet. Nevertheless, this also a sign of tension or parasites, so better observe more if this will happen again. If this continues, do not hesitate to seek medical help.
What are the causes and symptoms of Diarrhea?
As mentioned earlier the types, you can think about the causes of their conditions. To accurately evaluate it, here are some lists of signs that you can notice if your wrinkled pal is suffering from Diarrhea.
- Their stool is watery.
- Their appetite is decreasing.
- They are experiencing stomach pain.
- Their energy is deteriorating.
- Their interest in daily activities has gone.
- They are having trouble pooping.
Aside from these signs, you can also see some instances that other symptoms accompany them. It happens in more severe cases. To give more detail, here’s the next list that will provide you with the idea that your beloved pet is needing immediate medical help.
- The color of their stool is black or has blood.
- There are worms in their feces.
- Diarrhea accompanied by vomiting.
- Enlarging of the tummy is also noticeable.
- Diarrhea is more than 48 hours.
- It has a foul smell of stool.
- You can also observe exhaustion, fever, and depression in your pets.
Now, seeing these symptoms, you will think back to what made your pet put them in horrible condition. Whatever causes it may be, it must prevent at all costs. Keep in mind that Diarrhea mainly causes by food that affects the digestive system. So one of the main factors that must consider are as follows:
- Spoiled foods are a big NO for bulldogs because they have sensitive tummies. They will quickly get sick and could develop Diarrhea. To prevent this, place your garbage far from the reach of your pet.
- Changes in diet could also cause your pet to have Diarrhea. Since bulldog’s tummy are sensitive, having a significant adjustment on their food intake could make them suffer.
- Overeating could also cause your bulldog’s Diarrhea. Too much food intake will make their digestive system suffer. You will quickly notice that your bulldog suffered Diarrhea due to overeating is the consistency of their stool. If it is very soft, then you have to slow down their food intake.
- Anything too much is terrible, as often said. And one of these is giving your bulldog too many treats. There is nothing wrong with giving your pet a luxury but be sure to limit it. Also, always check the content of the food. See to it that it can provide proper nutrition. Do not also forget the food that can give them allergies for their sensitive tummies.
What to feed to Bulldogs with Diarrhea?
Simple Diarrhea can treat with simple medication at home and proper attention. However, you need to have enough knowledge to know the necessary way to give them the simple medicines they need. Below are some guides that you can use to feed your dog during Diarrhea properly.
- For puppy bulldogs with chronic conditions, since they don’t have the same digestive level as adults, they need to be more careful. It is essential not to feed them certain ingredients that could cause harm to their digestion. Please seek professional advice in giving them the right food.
- For hydration, you can give your bulldog the right amount of Pedialyte. You can use this as initial help if your dog lost so much water because of extreme bowel movements. It is indeed safe to give orally to dogs to replace fluids and electrolytes that they lost.
- Give your bulldogs bland and easily digestible foods until they improved. Foods like cottage cheese, yogurt, white rice, and cooked macaroni are right for them. Also, give you bulldogs a lot of water to control dehydration.
- Some bulldog owners consider Pepto Bismol because it helps protect the bulldog’s stomach from acid reflux, indigestion, and Diarrhea. Pepto Bismol soothes and eases any discomfort on the bulldog’s tummy. However, be sure that you asked your vet about the right amount you should give to your pet.
Buying Guide: Best Food for Bulldogs with Diarrhea
Aside from the first aid foods and simple medication we showed, numerous different foods are best for your dog; however, it will vary on how sensitive your tummy’s bulldog or the capacity of their stomach on its intake.
Considering your bulldog’s sensitivity, you should look for some essential elements of food formula. Do not be mistaken with the long list of dog foods in the market. All you need to do is look for the vital component of food that will be good for your dog’s illness.
Look for dog food with Probiotics, which could be helpful in their situation. They are healthy bacteria that your dog’s tummy needed and could make their digestion easy. Aside from these, probiotics help your dog absorb nutrients and fight infections that cause Diarrhea.
Ingredients that are high in fiber must also consider because this will help bulldog’s stool became solid. Foods like apples, bananas, and carrots are fiber-rich. They will surely love this nutritional treat.
Also, keep in mind that your dog requires bland food in these times. Be strict on the content of dog foods and as much as possible, do not give additives, foods that have artificial preservatives, and coloring.
Bulldog with Diarrhea – Other treatment
As mentioned, Diarrhea accompanied by other symptoms needs intense medical attention. Furthermore, if your dog didn’t improve despite all the above remedies; hence, you may try to do the different treatments we provided below. You can do this while observing your bulldog’s progress.
Try to do some fasting for your dog. Do not feed it for 12 – 24 hours. In this way, its stomach’s inappropriate content will eventually purge and allows its digestive system to heal. Sometimes, feeding your dog in bad condition of digestion puts more pressure on the stomach. Giving enough time for healing may help their situation better.
Bulldog with Diarrhea – How to prevent?
In any sickness and problems, preventions are the best recommendation. Please scroll down to see our suggestions on how to help your dog prevent having Diarrhea.
- Keep an eye on your bulldogs. Always be aware of their intakes. As mentioned earlier, do not overfeed them.
- Please do not give them low-quality products. Avoiding these products indeed save them from diarrhea and food allergies.
- If you are planning to change your bulldog’s diet, do it gradually. Abrupt changes will only make their digestion suffer.
- Please do not give them table scraps.
- Always deworm them and vaccinations.
There are things that an owner must do if their bulldogs have Diarrhea: know the right food to give, gives extra and proper care, and keep an eye on them. It is also essential to provide an initial remedy to lessen the burden they felt caused by Diarrhea. Aside from awareness and prevention, nutritious food is also the key to make your pets recover faster. However, if Diarrhea persists, do not hesitate to your pet’s vet. Your pet might need intensive care. Being a pet owner comes with responsibility, patience, and sacrifice. When they get sick, they need more of that. It is not a simple task; however, when everything passes, and they finally gave you a wag-tail performance, then it’s all worth it.